UNESCO Programme Specialist – Gender Equality - Ramallah
Job ID/Title : 922 - UNESCO Programme Specialist – Gender Equality
Brand : UN Organization
Application Deadline : 19-Dec-16
Duty Station : Ramallah
Languages Required : Arabic, English,
Expected Duration of Assignment : Till 31 January 2018
With the support of Norway, UNESCO is in the final phase of transitioning the Palestinian Women’s Research and Documentation Centre (PWRDC) from a research focused institute to the streamlined Gender Policy Institute (GPI). To complete this transition, UNESCO is responsible for managing the components of work to make the GPI operational.
The post reports directly to the UNESCO Head of Office. The post requires a comprehensive understanding of UNESCO's policies and guidelines especially in relation to project and budget management, and reporting. The post holder will be familiar with UNESCO's gender commitments and have proven experience in managing gender-related projects, financial and technical commitments as well as effective monitoring and reporting mechanisms. The post will also establish processes and procedures for manaing time and resources effectively and efficiently.
Description of Responsibilities:
The post will be expected to deliver a range of cross cutting and substantial results directly related to the development of the Gender Policy Insitute inlcuding implementaion and monitoring of project plans in the first year of operation. The Project Coordinator – Gender Equality, will facilitate and manage a range of activities related to the objectives listed above.
Planning and Organizing: The post will require the ability to establish realistic strategic objectives and targets for achieving the project related goals. Developing time and resource allocation plans will be essential to this position as well as developing effective consensus building and consultative processes as the institute becomes operational.
Human Resources Management: The post will manage a number of staff including senior and support level Ministerial seconded staff, Academic project-related fellows, short-term consultants and other UNESCO support personnel associated with the development of the GPI. The post will support and contribute to the hiring process for the recruitment and selection of GPI staff as well as the identification, selection and support to the initial governance and advisory boards. The post will be responsible for setting the tone for the expanded team and its collaboration and motivation to achieve its goals as well as encouragin new ideas, innovation and knowledge sharing.
Project Management: The post will be responsible for the overall financial and adminstrative management and implementation of the Norway funded project supporting the start up of the GPI. Responsiblities will include monthly and annual reporting including details on financials and other adminstrative reports as required by the project. The post will be also responsible for developing new project proposals to support GPI including the development of budgets. Should these proposals be funded, the post will be responsible for initial management of such projects.
Communication: The post will be responsible for developing and managing communications strategies, use of tools and channels appropriate to filtering and disseminating messages as related to both the inception of the insitute itself as its starts up as well as its actual content of policy related work.
Gender Equality Focal Point: The incumbent will act as the Gender Equality focal point in the UNESCO Ramallah Office, with roles of coordination and backstopping of all activities conducted by the UNESCO Ramallah Office in the delivery of UNESCO’s Gender Equality Action Plan in Palestine. Will also act as the Media focal point, with supervision of the content editing of the Ramallah Office website and media-related publications.
The key deliverables for this Project Appointment will be:
- Establish a legal entity: The post will be responsible for cultivating, facilitating and managing a range of partnerships, alliances and networks in relation making the GPI administratively and legally operational, including establishment of the legal status for the GPI through lobbying at government level, cultivating Intellectual Capital, securing start-up resources for planned activities.
- Donor relations: The post will be responsible for maintaining the current ongoing positive working relations with the Norwegian Representative's Office as the primary donor for the project. The post will cultivate new donor partnerships as new project proposals are developed. Familiarity with donors priorities in relation to gender equality will be essential.
- Government relations: The post requires existing knowledge and good working relationships and networks with relevant governing authorities including established relations with the Ministry of Women's Affairs, the Office of the Prime Minister and other authorities deemed relevant to the GPI's estbalishment and operations. The post requires familiarity with the gender machinery of the governing authorities in Palestine.
- Media: The post will be responsible for cultivating and developing media related networks to ensure appropriate outreach and promotion of GPI's work. The post will need expertise in developing and pitching gender related messaging and communications. The post will require pre-existing media contacts and networks to ensure timely progress on this component.
- Advanced university degree (equivalent to Masters) Gender Studies, Project Management, International Relations, Sociology, Anthropology, Development Studies or similar. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advance univeristy degree.
- A minimum of 4 years of progressively responsible experience in the field of Project design, implementation, management and evaluation with at least 2 of those years in Gender-related subject matter.
- Commitment to the organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
- Accountability, Communication, Teamwork, Innovation, Results Focus, Planning and Organising, Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
- Driving and Managing Change, Strategic Thinking, Building Partnerships, Managing Performance, Making Quality Decisions.
- Excellent knowledge of Arabic and good knowledge of English.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries are paid in local currency. Other benefits include 30 days annual leave per annum, family allowance, medical insurance and pension plan. Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking organisation.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, log in through the UNDP website at
The applications deadline is 19 December, 2016 (Midnight Ramallah time).
A written examination, in addition to a competency-based oral interview will be used in the evaluation of candidates.
حمّل تطبيق زمن برس مجاناً